Hot Pot (Nabe なべ) - Try this meal while it is still cold out!
This easy and healthy one pot meal is our favorite dish in winter.
Ingredients (for four) - adjust the amount and the selections of these ingredients as you wish:
- 5-6 cups of water
- 15-20 cm / 6-8 inch of dried kelp
- 1 long green onion sliced diagonally into 5 cm / 2 inch long
- 4-6 shiitake mushroom sliced into .5 cm / 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 package of enoki （えのき）mushroom (cut the bottom off)
- 1 package of maitake （まいたけ）mushroom cut into a bite size
- 1 bunch of shungiku (春菊）cut into 5 cm / 2 inch long
- 1 package of hard momen tofu (もめん/木綿) cut into about 3cm/ an inch blocks
- 1/4 of chinese cabbage (hakusai はくさい）cut into 5 cm / 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 carrot sliced into .5cm / 1/4 of an inch thin
- 4-6 fish ball (tsukune つくね）
- 3-4 slices of salmon, cod, oyster, scallop and/or crab (it is even better to use a head of a fish to make a savory broth for this hot pot)
Soak dried kelp in a water for about an hour (or bring the pot with the kelp to simmer and boil it for about 5 minutes). Take the kelp out. Add all the ingredients and boil the water until all the ingredients are cooked. Add a little bit of ponzu (ぽんず) in your soup if you wish. It is best to be served with the plain rice. Alternatively, the left over soup in the hot pot is very savory, so you may add noodles to it and cook until the noodles are al dente.
Note: If you have a proper clay pot and a portable table top gas burner, cook the ingredients as you eat. Otherwise cook all the ingredients in a regular pot and serve it in a soup dish.