Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Happy New Year from Tokyo!

It has been a while since the last time I spent the New Year's in Japan. While I lived away from Japan, New Year's day was the day I missed the most. Every corner of office buildings and homes, you will see the New Year's decoration.

Things I missed the most about the New Year's in Japan was "Osechi," a special meal prepared only for the New Year's. Your first day of the year starts with drinking herbed sake called "Toso" followed by "Osechi" meal.



It is a very quiet day in Japan and many business will be closed until the 4th or 5th day of January. As getting together with your families and visiting shrine dressed in a traditional kimono are very common ways to spend your New Year's break, we followed the tradition this year by having gathered with my side of the families and visited a shrine in our neighborhood, Azabujyuban.



No comments:

Post a Comment